Made in America: Shinola Brand Gets a Reboot
- Made-in-Detroit brand Shinola opens a stunning Rockwell Group-designed retail location in New York's Tribeca neighborhood.
- Manufacturing in the United States is thriving and in our July/August issue we highlighted the American designers and makers producing modern wares.
- Shinola brings leather making in-house with a new 12,000-square-foot studio.
Though Domestic Aesthetic is based in Brooklyn, its undulating Bamboo tray is handcrafted in Detroit. Its makers had previously worked supplying metal parts to the auto industry but have branched out into other materials. Made using a CNC router and then hand-sanded, the Bamboo tray is a prime example of American manufacturers moving into new territory to stay vital.
- Dwell goes coast to coast with our annual Made in America issue. We share the newest US-made products and up-and-coming designers that keep our local industries buzzing.
- Tonight, celebrate Earth Day with a discussion of water management at the Museum of the City of New York and catch Quicktake and Contemplating the Void before they close at the Cooper-Hewitt,…
- If the Great Recession has an unofficial mascot, it's Detroit.
This handmade, copper-plated bike’s minimal aesthetic is reminiscent of vintage track bicycles. Each bespoke fixed-gear bicycle is made to order based on individual measurements.