In Mitchell’s Plain township in Cape Town, South Africa, living conditions are harsh. The congested urban landscape pushes kids into the streets to play. Poverty forces reliance on found materials for cobbling together shacks. Summers are hot, winters are cold, and relentless winds whip about the plentiful sand.
@current / @total
- Thomas Heatherwick stole the show at the first day of the Design Indaba conference in Cape Town, South Africa, on Wednesday when he unveiled his plans to recast a century-old silo on the city’s…
The very best of contemporary South African design will be shown at the eighth annual Design Indaba Expo, to be held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre from February 25th to 27th, 2011. With more than 270 confirmed exhibitors, Design Indaba ushers in a new decade of local design excellence. The only expo featuring soley South African artists, the Design Indaba Expo recognizes and celebrates local creative work from craft to product design, fashion, publishing, new media, ceramics, animation, architecture and more. Highlights include an arena with all-day fashion shows, a film festival and the Creative Agencies exhibit where advertising, animation and production studios will showcase their best work.
- Kinship in design is often viewed as simply a matter of showing relations, both formally and historically, between objects that share color, pattern, and local craft strategies.
- Southern African designers showcase their wares at Cape Town's annual Design Indaba Expo.
- Fresh from his appearance at Design Indaba in Cape Town, Mikal Hallstrup of Designit talks about the importance of design in everyday life.
- The metalworker’s elegant designs fed modern obsessions with steel and prefab construction.
- Friday, July 29th marks the opening of what looks to be a very exciting exhibit on residential regionalism.