Design Icon: Julius Shulman
- This Sunday, October 10, on the day that would have been architectural photographer Julius Shulman’s 100th birthday, the MAK Center for Art & Architecture at the Schindler House will hold…
- The MAK Center for Art and Architecture in Los Angeles celebrates 20 years with a reception, discussion, and R. M. Schindler architecture tour on May 17–18, 2014.
- For over seventy years, through 7,000 photography sessions, and with 70,000 negatives, Julius Shulman captured the elusive spirit of architecture with an unerring eye and indefatigable…
- A documentary screening at Dwell on Design zooms in for a close-up on 98-year-old architectural photographer Julius Shulman and his iconic images that came to define modernism and Los Angeles with a…
This architecture tour will feature six modernist residences recorded by acclaimed architectural photographer Julius Shulman (1910-2009). Homes by R.M. Schindler, Richard Neutra, Pierre Koenig, Raphael Soriano (Shulman's longtime residence) and Carl Louis Maston will be included:
Lovell Health House (1929), Richard Neutra
Kun House (1936), Richard Neutra
Gold House (1945), R.M. Schindler
Hillside House (1948), Carl Louis Maston
Shulman House (1950), Raphael Soriano
Gantert House (1981), Pierre Koenig
- Last weekend, the Getty Research Institute's show Julius Shulman's Los Angeles opened in its third location, a cathedral-like neo-Mudéjar style water tower named Canal de Isabel II in Madrid.
- An exhibition coming to coastal Massachusetts in March explores California's evolution as an incubator of progressive midcentury design.
- From furniture to interiors, Jewish designers made their mark on modernist American design in the postwar years.