Castles Made of Sand
- Harnessing the power of dirt, sand, soil, and earth, these projects prove that modern houses are not just made of glass and steel.
- Seven of the most inventive and original architectural designs ever featured in Dwell.
- In Mitchell’s Plain township in Cape Town, South Africa, living conditions are harsh. The congested urban landscape pushes kids into the streets to play.
- Published to coincide with designer, artist, and visionary Wendell Castle's 80th birthday at the end of 2012, writer Alastair Gordon's biographical monograph of Castle's work is a juicy read, full of…
- In honor of our family themed July/August issue, we've invited guest writer Paige Johnson, who spearheads the blog Playscapes, to share her perspective on some of the most innovative contemporary…
- Jeff and Larissa Sand cut their commute down to a few flights of stairs when they moved their industrial design studio, architecture office, and metalwork shop into the first two floors of their home…
The erect back encourages good posture without compromising comfort, and the 25-inch-wide seat has a generous feel. In addition to red, white, and black, it comes in a transparent version—a smart way to add seating without visually cluttering a room.
The high-gloss, static-prone finish is a magnet for dust and dog hair and will easily scratch: Beware deadly jeans rivets. Due to their shiny, sharply curved profiles, our elbows kept slipping cartoonishly off the armrests.
- While in Italy checking out the latest in tiles at Cersaie in Bologna, we took a day to train over to Venice and roam the waterways and were given the opportunity to visit the only foundry in the…