5 Modern Design Icons You Should Know
- Iconic photographer of mid-century modernism Julius Shulman may or may not have been a pack rat. What he was: a collector of the equally significant '40s-'60s design Bible Arts & Architecture.
- Architect Lina Bo Bardi, born Achillina Bo in Rome in 1914, made an indelible mark on mid-century Brazilian architecture and design after emigrating there following the destruction of her office in…
- Greta Grossman, for a while relegated to the footnotes of design history, is finally getting the deserved recognition as one of the pioneers of mid-century modernism in both Sweden and California.
- Julius Shulman was a famous American photographer known for his residential photography of modernist residences in midcentury Southern California.
- Many innovators helped usher in the Modernist movement, but French architect, furniture maker, and interior designer Charlotte Perriand turned lofty ideals into revolutionary living spaces.
- From Breuer's dorm furniture to a forgotten mid-century airport in Newfoundland, we draw from the Dwell archives of oldie but goodie design content.
- Jens Risom is enjoying his place in the canon of mid-century furniture designers while also distinguishing himself as a great contemporary designer.
- Happy birthday, Lina Bo Bardi! The influential modernist architect would have turned 99 this week, so we celebrate her anniversary with a look at Yale University Press's new monograph of her work.