From Sweden: Note Design Studio
Stockholm-based Note Design Studio is like a Swedish Pee Wee's Playhouse--everything is cartoonish, playful, and very very fun. Founded in 2008, the group is comprised of a quirky mix of designers, architects and all-around creative types, and they combine their efforts to create products, interior spaces, branding for companies, and all manner of things. Their latest collection, Marginal Notes 2011, has just debuted at Stockholm Design Week, and was born from the scribbles that dotted the margins of the team's notebooks. As they tell it, one day during a strategy meeting they decided to take a break by looking at each other's doodles. From those initial sketches, odd proportions and odd configurations included, they launched a series of prototypes. In the end it became an exhibition of weird and wonderful objects. Take a look at the pieces, and the studio's charming liner notes.
Showing image @current of @total
- San Francisco-based designer Adrien Segal has taken data visualization to new heights with her tidal datum table, a wood-and-metal creation that physicalizes the patterns of tidal flow, as recorded…
- An enterprising duo mines their respective creative and business backgrounds to create a furniture collection with French roots and universal appeal.
- For all the joys of beachfront living, it’s not without its risks. But with some smart design and sound engineering, this small coastal house stands tall against the threat of rising tides.
- "I guess from a young age I collected things that interested me—picked up bizarre things from the street, put them in boxes, or took them to my room."
Charles and Ray Eames designed this elephant in 1945. The complex process required for molding the plywood pieces was prohibitive, however, and the elephant never made it past the prototype stage. Vitra revived the beast in polypropylene, making it durable enough to handle the wilds of the backyard, playroom, or even southern California; Check out this short stop-motion film made by Eames Demetrious, "A Gathering of Elephants," which features the creatures calling to each other and coming together from all over Los Angeles.
- Tomas Kral is a product designer based in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Tina Hellberg is an interior stylist based in Stockholm who lives on an island in a very old house with her husband, Niklas Andersson, daughters Ebba and Hedda, and Australian Kelpie, Vira.
- As promised, here is the second part of our grand tour through the national pavilions at the 2010 Venice Biennale.