R 20th Century Gifts
The New York City gallery R 20th Century recently mounted "The Objects Show," a collection of artist and designer-created objects on view (and available to purchase) through December 30th. The pieces include hand-sewn animals by Renate Muller, hand-painted blocks by Serena Mitnik-Miller, jewelry by the likes of Kara Hamilton and Kiki Smith, and hand-crafted Best Made products including their covetable nautical flags and painted axes. Also contributing to the show is ITEM, founded by Leah Singer and Julia Trotta, who source unique objects around a single theme. For the exhibition at R 20th Century, they've gathered a gaggle of sculptural handmade candles from around the world, from colorful Havdalah candles from Israel to a three-pronged Swedish branch candle. ITEM also keeps a blog related to their current obsession—worth checking out for all sorts of candle ephemera. Here are some of my favorite items in the show, all available at the gallery and online here.
@current / @total
- Have you heard of online startup Of A Kind? If not, bookmark it now.
Bocce, a lawn game whose lineage can be traced to the Roman Empire, is modernized with this hand-painted set by a Brooklyn studio.
- For the first time since launching online in November 2013, the Dwell Store had a physical presence at Dwell on Design Los Angeles from June 20–22, 2014.
- This month New York gallery Relative Space is hosting From Quebec, a boutique show featuring 36 talented designers from Montreal.
- Knockoff furnishings may be cheap, but for the design industry, they come with a heavy price.
- Greetings from Peru! I'm in Lima reporting from the showroom floors of the National Gift Show and Peru Moda, a fashion tradeshow, taking place April 27th to 30th.
- Pro tip: For a colorful or light industrial feel, powder-coated metal is your best friend when it comes to outdoor furniture. When going the wood route, opt for teak, which oxidizes naturally.
- Israeli–born, New York–based designer Dror Benshetrit’s work runs the gamut from product and furniture design to architecture and interiors.