R 20th Century Gifts
The New York City gallery R 20th Century recently mounted "The Objects Show," a collection of artist and designer-created objects on view (and available to purchase) through December 30th. The pieces include hand-sewn animals by Renate Muller, hand-painted blocks by Serena Mitnik-Miller, jewelry by the likes of Kara Hamilton and Kiki Smith, and hand-crafted Best Made products including their covetable nautical flags and painted axes. Also contributing to the show is ITEM, founded by Leah Singer and Julia Trotta, who source unique objects around a single theme. For the exhibition at R 20th Century, they've gathered a gaggle of sculptural handmade candles from around the world, from colorful Havdalah candles from Israel to a three-pronged Swedish branch candle. ITEM also keeps a blog related to their current obsession—worth checking out for all sorts of candle ephemera. Here are some of my favorite items in the show, all available at the gallery and online here.
@current / @total
- Have you heard of online startup Of A Kind? If not, bookmark it now.
- This month New York gallery Relative Space is hosting From Quebec, a boutique show featuring 36 talented designers from Montreal.
Bocce, a lawn game whose lineage can be traced to the Roman Empire, is modernized with this hand-painted set by a Brooklyn studio.
The exhibition will showcase exceptional tribal rugs, ethnographic textiles, decorative arts, pottery, modern crafts, basketry & books chosen by Mr. Larsen himself. There will be 50+ items available ranging from $400 to $13,000 in price. Some of these valuable items include a Quilted Silk Hanging fabricated by Larsen for the Sears Tower, a Quilted Silk Robe from Uzbekistan and line with Russian printed cotton purchased in Afghanistan in the 1970s among many other timeless pieces.
Jack Lenor Larsen is a world-renowned innovator in fabric design and its technologies whose colors, materials and weaves established the standards for superlative modern textiles and have become synonymous with modern 20th century design at its pinnacle of style and sophistication. More than a
weaver, Mr. Larsen is a scholar, world traveler, and an authority on traditional and contemporary crafts. Mr. Larsen is most recently known for LongHouse Reserve, the extraordinary gallery, garden and sculpture park he founded in East Hampton.
- The first comprehensive survey of Andy Warhol's oeuvre, this extensive homage to Warhol spans his early days as an illustrator to some of his best-known works like Marilyn and Mao.
- Knockoff furnishings may be cheap, but for the design industry, they come with a heavy price.
Realizing one of Wong’s final concepts, Lepage’s contribution converts the tactile nature of print into an altogether different sense. This scented candle was designed to capture the musky spirit of the Gray Lady.
- A couple takes a minimalist approach to their Brooklyn apartment, focusing on supple materials, subtle gradations of color, and custom finishes by local craftsmen.