Designed by Commune
I've had my eye on Commune's work for a while now, having first encountered their unique, quirky, modern aesthetic sensibility at the Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs, California, which they designed in 2009. The Los Angeles-based design collective, founded in 2004 by Roman Alonso, Steven Johanknecht, Pam Shamshiri, and Ramin Shamshiri, has branched well beyond interiors in recent years, designing commercial spaces, brand identities, and products—including the eight I've highlighted in the accompanying slideshow. If you're in L.A. you can scope them in person at Commune's West Hollywood concept shop, Community, open by appointment. Or you can order from their online shop here.
@current / @total
- Heath Ceramics presents Design in Time, a showcase of one-of-a-kind clocks made with eight various collaborators and friends of Heath including Jeff Canham, House Industries, Adam Silverman, Roger…
- Commune has good ideas. Opening Ceremony’s shop in Los Angeles? Good idea. Partnering with Heath Ceramics? Really good idea.
- In my online wanderings this week I've come across a totally lovely set of table linens from Los Angeles–based Commune Design.
- This week we're digging deep into our favorites objets de design spotted at the 2012 International Contemporary Furniture Fair in New York, from satellite events to the show floor at Javits Center.
- Having spent many years pining for her own space at the beach, Sofie Howard—photographer agent and owner of Los Angeles–based Commune Images—finally found it at Paradise Cove Mobile Home Park in…
- As Thanksgiving approaches at the end of the month, we've got table settings on the brain.
- Dwell always keeps an eye on the latest goods from Commune, an L.A. based design collective that manages to excel at everything from posters to penthouses.
- From simple geometrics to a riot of patterns, this folkcraft is easily adapted to a modern aesthetic.