Brazilian Design at the MoMA Store
The Museum of Modern Art's Design Store has been running regionally-sourced collections in their retails shops and online. Currently they've got an excellent array of products from Korea, and next up they'll be bringing work from Brazil.
During a visit to New York last week, I attended a preview of the Brazilian collection, which was absolutely as vibrant and beautiful as you'd expect from a country known for brilliant color and breathtaking natural habitats. I wanted to buy a few of the items on the spot, but I'll be eagerly awaiting their May release.
Showing image @current of @total
- Beginning with an all-day kickoff party on Saturday, May 29, from 10 am to 7 pm, Steven Alan in East Hampton will feature an installation of handmade furniture and accessories by Brazilian artisans…
- Recognized for his architecture and interior design, Brazilian modernist Sergio Rodrigues is renown for his furniture, often executed with humor and whimsy: His Mole chair and sofa is exaggeratedly…
- Don’t know your Tonico from your Mole?
Another fantastic exhibition during New York's design week was Inter-Connected, a collection of Brazilian and Portuguese design curated by Zoe Melo of LA's Touch gallery. The hand-made products utilized indigenous (and often recycled) materials created with techniques personal to the region or artist themselves, showing that "sustainability is multifaceted," Zoe said. Domingos Totora, from Maria de Fe, Brazil, had some beautiful pieces made from recycled kraft paper on display, and you can order this bowl directly from Touch.
- Just opened at the Centre Culturel in Lomé, Togo, is São Paulo–based photographer Leonardo Finotti’s “Brazil: Architecture in Photography,” featuring 50…
- Dwell and Design Within Reach (DWR) proudly announced the winner of their Live/Work Design Contest at the 7th Annual Dwell on Design in Los Angeles.
- The annual London Design Festival attracts both emerging and established creatives, who gather each fall to present their latest creations.
Introduced in 2003, Cherner Oval tables are designed to compliment Cherner seating. Perfect in a formal or informal setting, the tables are strong, stabile and lightweight. The Oval Cherner Table is 84” long and can seat 6-8. Made in the U.S.A