American Made School Supplies
In the October 2011 issue we're spotlighting all of our favorite American-made design. To lend a hand, we've asked Michael and Ruth Storc of the great site Design Patriot to share their top Made in the USA finds with us. Keep an eye out for a series of four posts from the duo. Here's their first on American-made school supplies.
With the lazy days of summer coming to an end, lots of us have to trudge out to the same old stores for pencils, binders, maybe even a protractor or two. May we suggest you avoid the crowds and shop from home, while doing a little good for the economy? Buy American! There's quite a bit of stuff on your list that is made stateside, and made tastefully we might add.
@current / @total
Give the gift of protection and style. The company Portel is designing some intriguing iPad sleeves, bags, belts and wallets. We're obsessed with their iPad sleeves made from thick natural felt. These handmade sleeves are designed not only to dress up your iPad while not in use, but to protect it from those minor accidental bumps and bangs. These sleeves fit both the iPad and iPad2 and come in a range of thoughtful colors.
- Mark Brickey and Beth Manos Brickey started their design careers like many youthful print enthusiasts: making free concert fliers from friends.
- As soon as a new gizmo hits—I'm looking at you, iPad—the design world races to kit it out with sleek accessories.
- Are you the creative and modern type who is also active and has a love for the outdoors?
- Dwell’s roundup of tech-savvy biking gear and stylish new cycles will give you more reasons to ride. In a poor paraphrase of George Orwell, two wheels good, four wheels bad.
- One of the more provocative panel discussions at Dwell on Design 2013, "Can You Spot the Fake?
- For those who adore the beauty of a blank-page-in-waiting, behold! The incredible allure of a hardback book you make yourself is just too damn much to resist.
- Father's Day is fast approaching, so we've got all of your bases covered with some great gift ideas.