Preview the February 'Modern for Less' Issue
@current / @total
Here we share product finds, homes, shops, modern design ideas and more from our magazine's popular In the Modern World section. In this month's issue we venture to a high-design hostel in Mexico City; corral items for the home under $150, $250, $500, and $1,000; journey through the mid-century modern paradise Palm Springs; and more. Find the full February 2013 issue at your local newsstand, order online, or download for your mobile device. In the meantime, flip through a sampling of the stories below.
- Eight years after construction began, this lakeside weekend home 80 miles outside Johannesburg, South Africa, received the long-awaited finishing touch that makes it an eye-catching thermal wonder.
- Dwell gets an insider's view of unique, inspiring homes for our interior design issue.
- If a building appears to be on its last leg, think twice before tearing it down. Preserving old fragments in a modern home can result in an eclectic mix of old and new.
- In light of the Eichler-inspired prefab house from our Dec/Jan Issue, we found five different ways to celebrate, purchase, or bulk up on Eichler architecture.
- We get our hands dirty with 9 homes that celebrate the great outdoors and nearly 50 new backyard furniture ideas for spring.
- On Thursday I headed down to Mexico City for four days of sheer design tourism. Things got underway that night with a molecular gastronomy feast the Polanco restaurant Oca. Parsley foam, man.
- In our February 2013 issue, we looked back at the mid-century majesty of Palm Springs, California.