The Nightstand, Reinvented
An exhibition in New York last month, organized by PIN-UP Magazine and held at Phillips de Pury & Company, explored the nightstand, that humble catch-all by the side of your bed. PIN-UP invited eleven American artists, architects, and designers to rethink and reinvent the nightstand, and the results were displayed for ten days and then sold off. It's over now, but I thought I'd share the inventive results in a slideshow. You can also check out a short video about the project here.
Showing image @current of @total
- From the first copper frog cast in Mesopotamia, molding and casting has progressed a long way in the realm of architecture and design since 3200 BC.
- I recently discovered the work of Chadhaus, a four-year-old Seattle-based company that builds beautiful modern furniture from hardwoods and recycled steel sourced mostly in the Pacific Northwest.
- Be it a perch for an alarm clock, reading lamp, or glass of water, the nightstand is a furniture staple in the bedroom. Here we show seven options.
- If you enjoyed our popular post, 12 Beautiful Bedrooms, don't miss this collection of some of the prettiest places to rest your head, as discovered by the Dwell team on our Pinterest board: Bedrooms.
- Once a locker for a midnight loo, the bedside table has taken on a far sweeter function—and a score of forms for holding big dreams, and small specs, till the morning light.
Forgo the unruly pile of books, papers, pens and magazines next to the bed, and instead opt for the The Grove nightstand, a clean, classic small cabinet from Room & Board, which will tidily house everything you'd like to have within reach from your place at the pillow.
- From the living room to bedrooms, rugs can be a great addition to any space! Take a look at these 10 interiors who touched up their space with a fine plot of fabric.
- We hunted down the essentials in this rustic-meets modern bedroom so you can recreate the look in your home.