The Modern Baby: Part Three
After Utah-based nursery furnishing company Oilo garnered praise in The Modern Baby: Part One, co-founder Annalisa Thomas offered to share her favorite nursery products and tips as well. Of course, Dwell was eager to pick her brain about the latest in nursery décor.
Thomas and her mother, designer Dorte Anderson, founded Oilo with mothers in mind. After becoming a parent, Thomas sought products that she could enjoy during the many hours she would be spending in the nursery with her children. “When Oilo first started we didn't see very many hip baby and nursery products out there, but in the past few years we’ve seen more and more. Parents are tired of animals and clowns for kids. They want modern, functional items for their baby and in the nursery,” says Thomas.
Click through the slideshow to see Thomas’s five favorite picks from Oilo
Showing image @current of @total
- For even more nifty nursery ideas, we checked in with the owner of online children's emporium fawn&forest and modern parent, Summer Robertson.
- Babies happen. They can even happen in a modern home. And not only can infants fit in, they can provide just the excuse to take modernism to a different level.
- A few modern ways to kit out a baby's room (no pastel versions of classic toys included).
Produced not far outside New York City, Ducduc’s Dylan crib is just the flexible nest for your budding modernist. The crib converts to a toddler bed and then a daybed as your child grows, making its design as varied and long-lasting as it is sublimely simple. The average Dylan crib is handmade by a team of eight skilled artisans out of entirely American materials.
With six base colors and more than 80 different Knoll fabrics for the cushion, this baby is almost endlessly customizable. Super-comfortable, thanks to the padded seat and gently curved back. It’s also available without the seat pad.
The seat pad isn’t removable or retrofittable, so pick your pattern wisely: There’s no changing it out when you get bored—or tipsy with your red wine.
- So you’ve thrown out the St. Pauli Girl sign, but how can you create an elegant masculine home without going space-age bachelor pad?
The Sparrow Glider is a clean-lined chair designed to be stylish enough for the modern nursery, but mature enough to relocate to the den when the time comes. The Sparrow features a smooth, quiet rocking motion, and ergonomic proportions for comfortable neck support and arm position. Includes a matching lumbar cushion. Constructed with 100% FSC-Certified Wood.
- You've had a long day. Take a moment to daydream and picture yourself relaxing on any one of these beautiful porches, patios, and terraces from farmhouses to island getaways. You're welcome.