Mid-Century Makeup: The Fontenell in Palm Springs
With the San Jacinto and Santa Rosa mountains providing a breathtaking backdrop, the rooms have been completely restored to their mid-century glory, with carefully selected furnishings and accents. The very colorful kitchens (in pink, yellow, or turquoise) contain original cabinetry, countertops, and appliances—including rarely seen eye-height refrigerator and iceboxes. Surrounded by a plethora of mid-century touches, it’s not hard to imagine The Fontenell playing host to many a martini-strewn after-party following a night of dancing at the iconic Chi Chi Club back in the day.
@current / @total
- From prefab to site-built, and off the grid to plugged in, to follow are some of our favorite desert houses from the pages of Dwell.
- Mid-century modernism is a way of life in Palm Springs, California, and the community continually celebrates the look, feel, and style of the era.
- In our February 2013 issue, we looked back at the mid-century majesty of Palm Springs, California.
- We were recently in Palm Springs soaking up the sun and the majesty of the town's mid-century design.
- Palm Springs is one of our perennial favorite destinations for design; the region is positively riddled with midcentury modern architecture and vintage shops, and the natural landscape is…
Palm Springs Modernism Week is an 11-day celebration of mid-century modern design, architecture, and culture in Palm Springs, California. This design aesthetic originated in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s, and was typified by clean, simple lines which came to define desert modernism.
Modernism Week is filled with a variety of events including architectural tours, films, lectures, an architectural symposium, educational events, and chic, fun parties in cool mid-century modern homes and boutique hotels. Visit the event site for more detailed listings.
Modernism Week is a celebration of mid-century modern design, architecture and culture in the Palm Springs area. This design aesthetic, originated in the 1950s and 60s, was typified by clean, simple lines and celebrated elegant informality which came to define desert modernism.
In the winter of 2006, a few local design and architecture aficionados created Modernism Week to showcase Palm Springs' world-renowned mid-century modern architecture. It has since expanded into a 10-day period filled with a variety of events, including architecture tours, films, lectures, an architecture symposium, educational events as well as chic and fun parties in cool mid-century modern homes. The 6th Annual Palm Springs Modernism Week will take place February 17-27, 2011.
Modernism Week’s signature February Event is an annual celebration of mid-century modern design, architecture, art, fashion, and culture. This exciting “festival” takes place in February in the Palm Springs area of Southern California. It features more than 100 events including the Modernism Show, home tours, films, lectures, double decker bus tours, parties, walking and bike tours, a pre-fab showcase, vintage fashion, live music events, a vintage travel trailer exhibition, and more.