Ma-dular Building in Austin
The Music and Technology festivals that make up South by Southwest may have come and gone but that doesn't mean that innovation can't still be found in Austin, Texas. Austin based firm KRDB have recently created a prefabricated, modular home company they simply call ma, a name derived from the Japanese word meaning consciousness of place, or the serene space in-between.
@current / @total
- As part of the cultural countdown to the winter Olympics in Vancouver 2010, media art group Springboard—a trio composed of architect Robert Duke, designers Keith Doyle and Iain Sinclair, and…
- Designer Francois Lévy and his wife, Julie, bought an abandoned 1904 train depot and transported it 50 miles to an inner-city lot in Austin, Texas.
- Texas is famous for supersized everything, but these six buildings are daringly diminutive.
- Eight riffs on the cozy cabin typology that make the most of a forest setting with modern architecture that connects to the outdoors.
- This Austin, Texas–based studio built its profile by designing and building some notable houses on spec.
- At Dwell, we are strong proponents of maintaining good, adaptable design in a way fits a growing family’s needs; here are five homes that fit the bill.
- Prefab has proven to be a popular architectural trend across the world. The Southern regional United States is no exception.
- Austin, Texas: Home to food trucks, live music, the first Whole Foods, and annual stomping grounds for the tech set, Austin also happens to have a kicking modern architecture scene.