Illustrator We Love: Debbie Powell
@current / @total
- Feast your eyes on half a dozen of our favorite movers and shakers in the graphic design world after the jump.
- Send a super-special note to someone you love. There's something strangely thrilling about a blank piece of loose-leaf, and this fabric sheet will only get better with your hand-embroidered note or doodle.
- The degree to which modernist design came to the fore of Western life—both aesthetically, in its reliance on mechanized production—at mid-century had everything to do with World War II.
"Look Both Ways: Illustrated Essays on the Intersection of Life and Design" is a book that brings a rich visual take to short narratives by Debbie Millman, current president of the AIGA and Sterling Brands. Tales of brand-name first loves and life lessons learned are told with words stiched in needlepoint, scrawled across the page, or written neatly on notecards, in chapters that engage the reader to pay as much attention to the presentation as the stories themselves. A beautiful read.
- Romualdo Faura is a graphic designer based in Murcia, Spain known for his minimal color palette, flat shapes, simplicity and focus on corporate branding, illustration, editorial and icon design…
- Cape Town, South Africa-based typeface designer and artist Jordan Metcalf has a knack for creating puzzling, intricate algorithms in the form of typefaces.
- Graphic design that looks like paper cut-outs? Check. Estonia-based illustrator and graphic designer Eiko Ojala is tricking our noggins one by one.
- You may have seen her colorful, quirky illustrations in the paper or those charming landmark icons on the travel itinerary tome of the New York Times, 36 Hours: 150 Weekends in the USA & Canada, so…