Get This Room: Romantic Modern Design
- Second only to the Eames lounge chair and ottoman, the Arco lamp by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni for Flos, with its super arc, is the classic go-to piece for the modern living room.
- Thanks to a contemporary interior that she’s been updating for a decade, modern architect Abigail Turin has learned to love her traditional 1925 San Francisco home.
- Dwell’s tips on painting a modern home: from the best environmentally friendly paint to rooms that use paint as a major design statement.
- Cozy up with modern fireplaces for all kinds of spaces.
Created in 1962 by Italian brothers Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni for Flos, this iconic steel-and-marble lamp's design was based on the shape of a streetlight. A sturdy base anchors the form, while the graceful arch of the stainless-steel shade extends eight feet.
The Arco Floor lamp is available at the Dwell Store.
- Taking its cues from local barns and silos and the rolling Wisconsin terrain, the Field House is a kind of modern observatory for watching winter turn to spring and the great vault of the heavens.
- West of Piombino Dese, in Bovezzo, the well-tended Glo-Balls meet the other parts of the lamp: laminated tubular steel stands, bases, and electronic components sourced in Milan.
- Recreate an Australian living-dining area in the comfort of your own home.