Design Miami's Deconstructed Tent
Though Design Miami wrapped up a month ago, Moorhead & Moorhead's installation begs to be revisited. In a take on a standard event tent, brothers Granger and Robert Moorhead manipulated the exterior, forming a latticed skin that makes for a remarkable play of light and shadow. Says Granger Moorhead, "We first wanted to embrace the existing form and structure of a typical tent, while manipulating or deconstructing its surface." Though the tent's shell is quite spectacular, the Konstantin Grcic-designed seating installation is also not to be missed. Granger chatted with us about the project, the design process, and what is was like to work with Grcic.
@current / @total
- Magnet schools are nothing new to the arts and sciences, but Miami's DASH looks to give high schoolers a head start in design.
- Aaron Britt: Having been to Miami several times now, most recently for Design Miami and Art Basel Miami Beach just last month, I've grown increasingly fond of the place.
- Jenny Wu, a partner at Oyler Wu Collaborative, documents the process from design through fabrication of their latest installation, Screenplay, to be featured at the upcoming Dwell on Design 2012.
- Industrial and graphic designers Massimo and Lella Vignelli are giants in their field.
- Get your daily dose of design by scrolling through Friday Finds. Below we share the Miami Marlins' new stadium, one man's ode to Titanic, and a swoon-worthy waxed canvas bag.
- Last night was the Design Miami vernissage party, and my first look at the tent by architects Aranda\Lasch, and the dozens of gallerists and the high glitz of the Miami art and society set.
- Living large in a small space? We've got loads of inspiration to help you make the most of it.
- For our October issue we're celebrating the best in American design, so we recently got on the phone with Parsons-trained furniture and lighting designer Joshua Howe who spoke to us from his Hudson,…