Cut a Rug
"That rug really tied the room together," says Walter Sobchak in the Big Lebowski. We here at Dwell have interviewed our fair share of designers over the years and many advise that rugs are the foundation of a "successful" design scheme. "I'm a very tactile person and I start with the rugs," says designer Suchi Reddy of her process. "As a layer it's very important—it's the first thing your feet touch." In the slideshow that follows, spy a wide array of room featuring unique rugs and buying advice from experts.
@current / @total
- From the living room to bedrooms, rugs can be a great addition to any space! Take a look at these 10 interiors who touched up their space with a fine plot of fabric.
- In a quiet corner of the famed Spanish party island, rug designer Nani Marquina and photographer Albert Font have carved out a serene, site-sensitive home.
- We recap 2013's top headlines related to design and architecture.
As part of our Design Leaders video series, architect-designer Christopher Deam discusses his modern take on the classic Airstream.
- Mill Valley, California, might not be a hotbed of modernism, but it was here, ten years ago, that Dwell came into the world alongside founder Lara Hedberg Deam’s first home—now renovated…
- Edward Fields—an American carpet maker whose rugs dress the floors in the Glass House, Hollyhock House, and Lever House—recently released "Iconics," a collection of eleven…
- As Boontje’s signature style is often associated with cutouts, Marquina’s solution was a good fit.
- Founded in London in 1997 by Suzanne and Christopher Sharp, The Rug Company grew out of the globe-trotting couple’s love of exotic cultures, exquisite hand-craftsmanship and, of course, rugs.