In the City by Nigel Peake
@current / @total
- You might have come to know and love Dwell through the stunning modern homes featured throughout the magazine's 12-year history but interspersed between the interiors stories and idea books are…
- Last weekend I was in Chicago and after hitting the show floor at the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (KBIS) and visiting Mies van der Rohe's 880-860 Lake Shore Drive Apartments, I traveled along…
"Look Both Ways: Illustrated Essays on the Intersection of Life and Design" is a book that brings a rich visual take to short narratives by Debbie Millman, current president of the AIGA and Sterling Brands. Tales of brand-name first loves and life lessons learned are told with words stiched in needlepoint, scrawled across the page, or written neatly on notecards, in chapters that engage the reader to pay as much attention to the presentation as the stories themselves. A beautiful read.
- Photographer Chris Mottalini pays homage to Paul Rudolph's architectural legacy by documenting his almost-demolished homes—and reminding us what we can't get back.
- Balthazar Korab—whose work and career we profiled in Dwell's Dec/Jan 2013 issue—passed away this week in Troy, Michigan, his hometown of many years.
- One of my favorite writers in Dwell is our contributing editor Marc Kristal.
- One of the perks of being a Dwell editor are the various fun surprises that appear in the mail—newly published books, the occasional small product, even the random staple gun (yes, really).
- On our second day in Barcelona, fueled by café con leche and enough jamon to kill a horse, we excitedly settled into a breakneck tour of modern Catalan design and architecture.