Back to School: The Architecture of Higher Learning
@current / @total
- The factory-line model is out for student housing; in its place, thoughtful solutions for community living engender enthusiasm for higher education and respect for a greener future.
- Thrusting its sinuous brick curves towards the Charles River, Baker House is one of only two Alvar Aalto works on this side of the Atlantic.
- “How do you make a piece of architecture about architecture?” Mack Scogin asks.
- There are many famous structures we associate with Le Corbusier (Chandigarh in India, Villa Savoye in France, the United Nations headquarters in New York), the Saddam Hussein Sports Complex in…
What’s the best way to deal with limited space? Find furniture that does double duty—–whether it’s a rolling cart that becomes a prep station and then a makeshift dining table, or a roomy ottoman that offers seating as well as concealment for your sundries. We collected our favorite transformative pieces in an online-exclusive slideshow for your viewing pleasure.
- Edgeless School: Design for Learning is an exhibition currently on view at the Center for Architecture.
- Magnet schools are nothing new to the arts and sciences, but Miami's DASH looks to give high schoolers a head start in design.
- From Luis Barragán's Mexico City residence to the Alvar Aalto House in Helsinki, we share ten architects' dwellings that are now museums.