Luis Barragan built his house in 1948 and lived there until his passing in 1988. It's currently a UNESCO World Heritage site, the only personal property in Latin America that has achieved such a distinction. Considered a masterpiece in the development of the modern movement, the house is faithfully preserved just as Barragan lived there. It's among the most-visited works of modern architecture in Mexico City. Photo by: Alejandro Chavetta
Architect Alden B. Dow’s masterpiece is undoubtedly his home and studio in Midland, Michigan. Designed in 1933 to be built in stages, the sprawling manse seems to rise out of a pond, its green copper roof and bright-white, geometric form seemingly birthed by the landscape. It’s a nearly perfect evocation of a guiding Dow dictum, “Gardens never end, and buildings never begin.”
In 1934, Aino and Alvar Aalto acquired a site in almost completely untouched surroundings in the Munkkiniemi neighborhood of Helsinki, Finland. They started designing their own house which was completed in August 1936. The Aalto House anticipates the two-year younger Villa Mairea, a luxury residence where Aalto's creativity was able to come into full bloom. But in contrast to its larger sister, the Aalto House is a cozy, intimate building for living and working, designed by two architects for themselves, using simple uncluttered materials.
The Eames House, Case Study House #8, was one of roughly two dozen homes built as part of The Case Study House Program. Begun in the mid-1940s and continuing through the early 1960s, the program was spearheaded by John Entenza, the publisher of Arts and Architecture magazine.
Walter Gropius, founder of the German design school known as the Bauhaus, was one of the most influential architects of the twentieth century. He built his house in 1938 as his family home when he came to Massachusetts to teach architecture at Harvard's Graduate School of Design.
Since the 1940s, the Glass House has served as a place of inspiration, education, and conversation across creative disciplines. Its 49-acre landscape, 14 architectural structures, and world-class art collection continue to draw members of an international creative community to engage with its rich legacy.
Frank Lloyd Wright began building this desert masterpiece in 1937 as his personal winter home, studio, and architectural campus. Located on the beautiful Sonoran desert in the foothills of the McDowell Mountains in northeast Scottsdale, the site shows Wright’s ability to integrate indoor and outdoor spaces.