6 Design Resolutions for 2013
@current / @total
Modern design retailer Zinc Details and co-working community Makeshift Society are pleased to present an exploration of entrepreneurship and creativity featuring a chat with celebrated designer Eric Pfeiffer, founder of Pfeiffer Lab, and Rena Tom, founder of Makeshift Society. The event will take place on Thursday, October 3, at the Zinc Details showroom from 6 to 8 pm. The program will entail a lively conversation with Eric and Rena about the advantages and challenges of running a small business from the perspective of two of the Bay Area's most respected practitioners and strategists. Their talk will be followed by a Q&A session.
- Dens and family rooms don’t need to mean the Bradys and shag carpeting. As the following clever family spaces prove, there are many ways to accommodate everyone in high style.
- If you're going to be in San Francisco this week, please join us as we ring in a new year dedicated to good design!
Dimming the bright overheads and lighting a few candles at the dinner table is a sure way to take the edge off of a harried day. The understated shape of designer Francis Cayouette's cast iron centerpiece will allow the four wax flames you choose truly shine, and you'll be relaxed before you have to blow them out and go to bed. Heima is available in the US from Zinc Details.
- If your resolutions this year involve simplicity and well-designed products, look into designer Kathleen Hills.
- Taking cues from traditional Swedish rooflines but rejecting the precedent of subpar prefab, Claesson Koivisto Rune bring light and style to their "site-generic" design.
- Designing For Retail Spaces sponsored by Flexform
6-8pm | Flexform | 155 East 56th Street | New York
Architects will talk about designing for retail, with input from the cutting-edge fashion designers whose brand they build in the three-dimensional space. Hear from the designers of iconic New York boutiques, like Alexander Wang, Phillip Lim, and Steven Alan. Moderated by Dwell editor Kelsey Keith, brothers Christopher and Dominic Leong of Leong Leong, designer Dror Benshetrit and TBD, the panel will discuss the process of creating rigorous design for a very tailored purpose. What do retailers look for in displaying fashion to a design-conscious public? Sponsored by Flexform.
A Danish architect translates ornamental motifs from an Iranian mosque into this lightweight pendant made of synthetic paper.