In December 2007, Nicolette de Waart, her husband, Joost Dop, and their four children moved from Heemstede, the Netherlands, to Singapore. While Dop began his new job, De Waart set out to find someplace for them to live. In the process of turning a house into their home, she also found a footing for her interior design business, Design Doctors, an extension of her well-established Dutch company, De Stijlfabriek. De Waart tells her tale of procuring (and piecing together) a place for her family in the big city.
@current / @total
- A coat of chalkboard paint on the wall adds a fun and useful accent to any room in the house, from a spot to scribble in kids' rooms to a keeper of to-do lists in the kitchen.
- Second only to the Eames lounge chair and ottoman, the Arco lamp by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni for Flos, with its super arc, is the classic go-to piece for the modern living room.
- Who says good design is just for us grown-ups? Plucked straight from the Dwell Pinterest board dedicated to modern design for kids, take a peek inside to see our top picks for the mini modernist.
- With the convenience that wallpaper provides, it is no wonder the timeless household product has been praised as one of the most popular ways to give your home a quick, attractive, and relatively…
- Inspired by her natural surroundings, a Dutch felt artist intuitively crafts a home on a northern Holland harbor.
- On a secluded plot of land in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, Brooklyn's Lubrano Ciavarra Architects crafts a modern weekend house designed to frame its landscape.
- Shipping containers are ubiquitous in Houston, though unlike the four that make up this new home, they're usually filled with foreign goods rather than flourishing lives.
- Make the living room a central space in your home with loads of colorful accessories and a trapeze or two.