A Prefab Home on Washington's Puget Sound
To build a home on a remote plot of land in Washington State, former Angelenos Amy Staupe and Christopher Roy commissioned Method Homes to construct a highly personalized prefab structure. "We had gone back and forth on prefab or custom so many times," Roy says. "A lot of the prefab we saw was either too expensive, didn't meet our needs, or it just didn't appeal to us. I had sort of given up on prefab, thinking that the market just wasn't ready for us yet." As he was driving on the freeway, Roy spotted a convoy of prefab modules and noticed that they were from Method Homes. "I thought, 'Hmmm… Maybe I ought'a give those guys another look,'" he says. The couple soon embarked on a year-long project to create a haven in the forest, which they documented in striking detail on ruralrebound.com. Staupe and Roy walk us through the finished product.
@current / @total
- When plans for a prefab home flopped, Rian and Melissa Jorgensen were introduced to Jonathan Feldman of Feldman Architecture, whose custom design was able to deliver an environmentally conscious…
- In 2007, builders and developers Mark Rylant and Brian Abramson launched Method Homes, a prefabricated building company with a focus on modern homes.
- On Puget Sound, activist and filmmaker Anna Hoover collaborated with Les Eerkes, a principal at Olson Kundig Architects, on a 693-square-foot studio in the woods.
- Thanks to prefab technology, it’s now possible to bring an entire home with you on your seaside vacation. These modular structures were delivered straight to the shore to provide easy ocean access.
- For co-founders Jake and Pum Lefebure of Design Army, family and business work well together.
- In 2009, just as architectural designer Chris Greenawalt and his wife, Danielle, completed remodeling their Seattle home, Danielle received word that she was heading to Boston for her job as a…
- We've corralled a collection of prefab homes located on precarious hillsides, atop mountains, in remote deserts, and next to pristine lakes to show the building method's versatility.
- Prefab is one of our favorite subjects at Dwell on Design, and this year we're picking up the discussion with a variety of prefab panel discussions.