The Pace of Portland
When creative director Ben Watson and his partner, painter Claudio Tschopp, relocated from Basel, Switzerland, to Portland, Oregon, three years ago, they had been told about Portland’s Pearl District, a popular former industrial enclave now brimming with galleries, restaurants, and residential lofts. But the outskirts beckoned: “I decided that if I’m in Portland,” Watson recalls, “why not enjoy the essence of what the city is?”
@current / @total
- Portland—the city where young people go to retire, home of Stumptown Coffee Roasters, and filming location of that one show.
- Among the many problems of urban living in Portland, Oregon, are raccoons, deer, and falling trees.
- Living in a state that’s saturated with rain for much of the year, Oregonians rightly have an obsession with sunshine.
- A new restaurant named Anju recently opened in Portland, Oregon.
- Brad Cloepfil of Allied Works Architecture of Portland, Oregon, has become the go-to man for museum design these days.
- In our Modern Across America issue, we rounded up the best American-made products from across the country. First up: furniture and accessories crafted in the Northwest.
- Building on our Modern in the City of Roses slideshow, we share five more residential projects from Portland, Oregon, ranging from a multi-family development to renovations.
- In Portland, Oregon, two adjoining six-story homes on a formerly run-down urban lot add to the neighborhood’s density and its green cred.