An Epic Plot
- What sort of house might a man with the title “recycling coordinator” live in?
- It may be the last bastion of the American Way in the frigid north, but Alaska is also home to some stunning modern homes. We visited one amazing Alaskan house in our July/August 2013 issue.
- Stephen Yablon Architect reimagines the stilt-house typology for a cutting-edge modern addition to a home in South Carolina's Lowcountry.
- Warm, rosy-toned copper has fallen into favor with contemporary designers.
- How do you squeeze maximum functionality out of minimal space? Rosa and Robert Garneau make it happen with multipurpose furniture, a hydraulic Murphy bed, and secret compartments galore.
- Dr. Kenneth Montague’s Toronto loft is both home and art gallery—and the ultimate party house, thanks to two kitchens, a rooftop deck, and no shortage of conversation pieces.
- Modernism's crisp lines and ornament-free surfaces bear little resemblance to Gothic architecture's gingerbread house–like flourishes.
- A free-standing pavilion can accent a building, provide temporary shelter and function as a pleasurable home away from home.