Aloft in the Forest
Among the many problems of urban living in Portland, Oregon, are raccoons, deer, and falling trees. It’s not just that woods and forests persist inside the city limits but also the fact that a city was densely built amidst them. Despite such hazards, Stefan and Nicole Andrén built a sleek modernist loft nestled in trees atop a forested ridge that snakes behind the city’s downtown.
@current / @total
- Set amongst lush greenery, these houses break from standard suburbia and make friendly neighbors with nature.
- In San Francisco, we usually enjoy quite a lovely Indian summer, but for most, September marks the beginning of fall.
- When creative director Ben Watson and his partner, painter Claudio Tschopp, relocated from Basel, Switzerland, to Portland, Oregon, three years ago, they had been told about Portland’s Pearl…
- The great room—a combined living, dining, and cooking space—is one of architecture's great equalizers.
- Living in a state that’s saturated with rain for much of the year, Oregonians rightly have an obsession with sunshine.
- One of Portland, Oregon’s, up-and-coming neighborhoods can thank a modern reinterpretation of a previously decrepit building for inspiring a wave of rather chic downtown development.
- In Portland, Oregon, two adjoining six-story homes on a formerly run-down urban lot add to the neighborhood’s density and its green cred.
- A new restaurant named Anju recently opened in Portland, Oregon.