Space of Diplomacy
Showing image @current of @total
- Our world is becoming more and more urban. Today, as Dwell contributor Mark Lamster reported for our June 2010 Megacities issue, more than 75 cities boast populations of more than 5 million.
- The Places We Live is a new book of extraordinary photographs by Norwegian photographer Jonas Bendiksen, documenting the teeming urban slums and shantytowns of four world cities: Nairobi, Mumbai,…
- Tonight I’ll be hosting the next Dwell Conversation, Designing Diplomacy, a panel discussion on the intersection of design and diplomacy at the Finnish Embassy in Washington DC.
- This weekend marks the end of two exhibition's at London's Design Museum.
- Yesterday I posted a short interview I did with Philip Kennicott, culture critic with the Washington Post, after my embassy design panel "Designing Diplomacy" in Washington DC in May.
- If any contemporary designer embodies the stark but somehow perfect use of space and form that characterizes a certain branch of Japanese aesthetics, Kenya Hara is the man.
Embassy Row along Massachusetts Avenue NW is one of the great architectural and cultural treats of Washington DC. Newly constructed embassies mingle with the brick colonials that give the city so much of its charm, but occasionally a nation will elect to built its American home in the modern style, making a bold statement about its values, aesthetics and intentions. Stroll Embassy Row as you never have before as Dwell editor Aaron Britt illuminates some of the city's modern marvels. Spend your Friday morning, May 22nd learning about Washington's modern architectural history and taking a rare peek inside some the best architecture the world has to offer. We will begin the tour at Dupont Circle at 10:00 am and end the tour at 2:00 pm with a no-host lunch at Amy’s Pizza on Macomb Street NW. Wear comfortable shoes for this 3 mile walk.
Stops along the way include rare peeks inside the Danish Embassy and Residence, the Finnish Embassy, and the Swiss Embassy Residence. We'll also wander past the English, Italian, Belgian and Brazilian Embassies, as well as other uniquely Washingtonian architectural treats.
Learn more about Dwell Conversations: Designing Diplomacy with Dwell editor Aaron Britt on Thursday, May 21.
- Brian Keaney of TonfiskDesign may be Irish, but his Finnish is flawless; he guides us through icecold Helsinki’s hot spots.