Modern Masterpieces: 6 Great Homes in France
- Each week Dwell.com delivers more than 50 original posts, articles, and interviews focused on the latest in modern design.
- Brise soleil—architectural devices that shade structures from sunlight—offer sculptural flourishes and passively cool buildings. We examine five examples from the Dwell archive.
- Bamboo: It's beautiful, it's sustainable, and it's versatile. What's not to love?
For the past decade we at Dwell have been ferreting out the best modern design wherever we can find it. And it should come as little surprise that we keep returning to a nation with a centuries-deep lineage of astounding material culture: la France. In honor of photographer Celine Clanet's amazing photo essay in our November 2011 issue depicting the astounding dams of the Savoy region, I've collected a handful of our best stories on French design over the last several years. From the furniture design of Inga Sempé to a masterpiece of rural prefab design by architect Jean-Baptiste Barache, we continue to tip our chapeaux to our amis across l'Atlantique.
- April 15th marks the final day of the 2013 YIA Little Art Fair (for Young International Artists), hosted by Raffles Paris and featuring a selection of contemporary painters and sculptors from France,…
- Opening March 18 at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York, "Color Moves: Art and Fashion by Sonia Delaunay" will feature the work of Delaunay, a French painter and…
- They say the family that designs together stays together. OK, nobody says that, but there may be something to it.
An event for the trade and general publicImagined as an itinerary — free-ranging and free of charge — sprinkled with exhibits and festive parties organized each night of the week, aimed at design lovers and the French and international trade who will be in Paris for the Maison&Objet show.