Modern Homes in The Carolinas
+ Read Article
From the Atlantic Coast to the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Carolinas are known for their unique subset of Southern culture. Amidst a backdrop of aging farmhouses and Victorian-style plantation homes, these architects took a modern approach to the distinct Carolinian style.
@current / @total
- Two years ago architect Chad Everhart came across an old farmhouse near Boone, North Carolina.
- Stephen Yablon Architect reimagines the stilt-house typology for a cutting-edge modern addition to a home in South Carolina's Lowcountry.
- In South Carolina's Lowcountry, a contemporary house soars amid the oaks and alligators.
- As we previously explored in Modern Gables, these five homes provide a well needed break from the hustle and bustle of city life. Take a closer look at these strikingly innovative barn residences.
- A pitched roof doesn’t necessarily mean a home is stuck in the dark ages of the American architectural vernacular.
- Take an armchair trek to Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, and more through our slideshow of houses that showcase the best of southern living.
- Inspired by architect Lucy Marston's edited farmhouse in the English countryside (featured in our March 2014 issue), we've rounded up a few more modern farmhouse renovations.
- It’s readily available, affordable, fairly sustainable, and hardy—what’s not to love about pine?