Glowing Box Home in Japan
- These five homes in Japan solve a variety of problems, whether it’s a lack of square footage, privacy, or lighting.
- Shoji screens are used everywhere from George Nakashima's Reception House to actor Vincent Kartheiser's tiny Hollywood bungalow, and they remain a time-tested way of allowing light in and keeping…
- From the quirky home of Vancouver-based designer Omer Arbel to a minimalist family loft in Copenhagen, click through to see eight of the homes recently featured in our September issue.
- Thanks to a fleet of wildly creative architects producing out-of-the-box houses for brave, non-conformist clients, Japan's architecture scene is one of the most exciting in the world.
- While the saying, "It's what's inside that counts" certainly rings true, the exterior matters just as much with these six homes garbed with striking facades.
- Using workaday materials, architect Indra Janda creatively constructs a backyard retreat that looks opaque during the day and glows at night.
- Whether located in dense, urban environments or the middle of the woods, window-clad bedrooms that let lots of light in offer the best sleeping experiences.
- Architect, systems designer, Cradle to Cradle founder, and sustainability guru William McDonough talks entropy, Walker Evans, paper houses, and “buildings like trees” with science writer…