7 Modern A-Frame Homes
- Sometimes the only thing getting us through the day is the dream of an escape—from work, from the city, from our day-to-day.
- Shingle style takes on a new meaning in the following 7 modern houses that approach the genre in innovative ways.
- Is Belgium the new Netherlands?
For the past decade we at Dwell have been ferreting out the best modern design wherever we can find it. And it should come as little surprise that we keep returning to a nation with a centuries-deep lineage of astounding material culture: la France. In honor of photographer Celine Clanet's amazing photo essay in our November 2011 issue depicting the astounding dams of the Savoy region, I've collected a handful of our best stories on French design over the last several years. From the furniture design of Inga Sempé to a masterpiece of rural prefab design by architect Jean-Baptiste Barache, we continue to tip our chapeaux to our amis across l'Atlantique.
- Constrained by minimal square footage, small houses run the risk of feeling cramped and claustrophobic. The best solutions often involve copious amounts of natural light.
- As these residences prove, you don't need pricey, high-end materials to craft a high-design home. In the right hands, even humble sheets of plywood take on a luxurious new dimension.
- Designer Jens Risom returns to his 1967 prefab off the coast of Rhode Island, readying it for his family's next generation.
- You'll never tear us away from the flat-roof modernism so prevalent in Dwell's pages over the last 12 years; nor would we try to eschew touting the glory of mid-century housing typologies.