5 Smart Modern Homes in Japan
- Shou-sugi-ban, a Japanese wood-charring technique, is emerging as one of builders' and woodworkers' favorite trends this year.
- Siding is a pretty dull subject—unless you're talking about charred cedar cladding, which makes our hearts go pitter-patter.
- In many cities, space is limited. These seven Japanese homes feature innovative storage options, tiny gardens and modern design.
- Thanks to a fleet of wildly creative architects producing out-of-the-box houses for brave, non-conformist clients, Japan's architecture scene is one of the most exciting in the world.
- While the saying, "It's what's inside that counts" certainly rings true, the exterior matters just as much with these six homes garbed with striking facades.
- Tokyo, Japan is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world with a rich cultural history in art and design.
- These 8 interiors from Japanese houses we’ve shown in our pages possess warm woods, clean lines, and an unparalleled design sense.
- Though open-plan spaces are the new norm, some—like the following 10 we hand-picked from our pages—clearly stand out from the rest.