An Unconventional Prefab on Fishers Island
- In January 2003, we issued a challenge to 16 architects: Design a modern prefab home for $200,000.
- In honor of Piero Ambrogio Busnelli, the B&B Italia founder who died on January 25, 2014, at age 87, here are eight homes from Dwell's archives where the influential Italian furniture company's…
- Prefab houses are getting leaner, more efficient, and, in some cases, bigger. Here, we explore highlights from our December/January prefab issue, juxtaposed with our favorites from the past.
- A door is just a door…or is it? In a dream, a door may represent a new opening in your waking life. A locked door may represent a missed opportunity.
- A 1950s Joseph Esherick home in Berkeley, California, inspires an addition that pays homage to the past yet is poised to host the next generation.
- Not all prefabs are made of sheet metal and shipping containers; these sylvan sanctuaries offer a more humanistic approach to assembly-line architecture.
- São Paulo architect Isay Weinfeld's Casa Deck offers cinematic vistas, a lush garden, and a retreat from Brazil's largest city.
- The canon of modern couches already has a pair of Eameses, but it took a small clutch of Italian furniture mavens to create the Charles.