Small Wooden Box Home in Portland
- Portland—the city where young people go to retire, home of Stumptown Coffee Roasters, and filming location of that one show.
- Crunched for space, the residents of these homes—mostly under 1,000 square feet—have the same ideas: look upward and compartmentalize.
Semi-automatic machine made of heavy-gauge stainless steel. Takes ground coffee.
- With shapes ranging from perfect cubes to rectangular prisms, these seven box homes teach their inhabitants to be happy with less.
- Urban gardens are cropping up everywhere, from the country to the city. To follow are five modern ways to grow your own.
- In apartments where every square foot counts, lofted beds can act as both a stylish and space-saving element.
A classic since 1971, when Arne Jacobsen created it for the Danish National Bank in Copenhagan.
- Tom Hanks is not known for horror films, but his 1986 flop, The Money Pit, has a terrifying premise: A seemingly small renovation consumes a couple’s life, devouring their reserves of time,…