Small in Seattle
For architect Michelle Linden, living and working in 600 square feet poses its challenges, but one of the biggest was completing a gut-renovation on the tightest of budgets—just $25,000. Originally built in the 1950s, Linden's home wasn't optimized for today's living styles, but was located in a neighborhood rich with amenities and close enough for her husband, Cameron, to bike to work. Location trumped the lack of storage, closed-off spaces, and outdated finishes, and with thoughtful planning and cost-conscious choices, Linden, who heads Seattle's Atelier A+D, crafted a home that's short on space, but long on personality and charm.
@current / @total
- Surrounded by lush evergreen forests and famously known for its cup of Joe, this second cool quintet of our favorite homes also resides in the Emerald City known as Seattle.
- The ingenuity of architects and design-minded residents is often best showcased in designs for homes with less than ample square footage.
- If your itty bitty bathroom is ready for a redo, check out these 12 projects that make the most of limited space with clever tricks.
- If you're short on kitchen space but big on design, never fear—the following 10 kitchens will help you fill your galley with great, space-saving ideas.
For Part Two of our video series "The Modern Family," sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, we head to New York City's Lower East Side, where architects Hayes and James Slade have renovated a 1,600-square-foot apartment for themselves and their four children. Using their own home as an example, the couple share their best tips for family-friendly, modern design—and for living well in limited space.
- Linden Hills, a leafy neighborhood in southwest Minneapolis abutting recreational Lake Calhoun, is a spot where few fences divide the ranch houses from the Cape Cods and the bungalows, most of them…
- Robert Sallin, who has been steadily remodeling his mid-century residence, has a few words of wisdom for those thinking of taking on a home improvement project, mid-century or not: "Be sensitive…
- A once-plain floating home on Seattle’s Portage Bay receives a much-needed renovation ten years in the making.