San Diego Cadres
In 2006, architect Nathan Lee Colkitt, whose firm has designed affordable, modern housing, a challenged athletes foundation and a conceptual Cuban immigrant museum, was in search of a live/work space in San Diego he could make his own, so he consulted architect Ted Smith, who Colkitt calls “the grandfather of San Diego design/build.” Smith had a space in his multi-unit building in the city’s Little Italy neighborhood that housed tenants ranging from architects and designers to video-game creators, musicians and a hair salon. Especially appealing was the fact that the available unit was a 750-square-foot concrete tabula rasa that Colkitt could rework to accommodate both his private living space and his firm’s office. “Like every designer, I tried to find the one with the most problems, because that brings out your creativity,” says Colkitt. “This unit is oddly shaped, with every wall at an angle, and I wanted to do something more interesting than just putting up a wall in the middle.” His solution was to create two small lofts, one for reading and one for sleeping, anchored among several existing concrete columns running along one wall.
@current / @total
- Although at first glance San Diego is typically associated with beachside apartments and tile-roofed bungalows, it most definitely has a modern side.
- Crunched for space, the residents of these homes—mostly under 1,000 square feet—have the same ideas: look upward and compartmentalize.
- If you're short on kitchen space but big on design, never fear—the following 10 kitchens will help you fill your galley with great, space-saving ideas.
- Architecture in San Diego—from newly built homes to modern classics like Kahn's Salk Institute—blends tradition and innovation in an exciting new way.
- Squeezed into a 14-foot-wide lot along a Toronto street originally developed for worker housing in the 1880s is fingerprint technician and musician Patrick Flynn’s 566-square-foot house by…
- Wide open living space is hugely appealing, at least until you have to figure where to store your stuff, and how to separate the bedroom from the kitchen.
- In apartments where every square foot counts, lofted beds can act as both a stylish and space-saving element.
- As the weekend approaches, we've gathered ten of our most popular homes on Dwell this week for your perusal.