Raise the Roof
From the United States to Poland to South Korea, living roofs have taken off. They provide natural insulation, help control with runoff, and pack a slew of cool features—it's no wonder these building canopies have gained popularity. We've gathered some of the most interesting and unexpected green roofs planted with everything from sod to succulents here for your viewing pleasure.
@current / @total
- No matter the month, it's never too cold or too early to start planning for major eco-impact.
- As the legendary American impresario Sol Hurok once said, "The sky's the limit if you have a roof over your head.” Here we highlight eight of the best roofs from California to Poland, straight from…
- In southwest Poland, architect Robert Konieczny, of KWK Promes, raises the roof—with sod intact—on Jacek Perkowski’s modernist rural getaway.
From urban rooftop gardens to living roofs that help homeowners save on energy costs, you'll find plenty of ideas for the final (green) frontier: the roof.
- Switching coasts from Brooklyn to Portland gave architects Mitchell Snyder and Shelley Martin a new set of unexpected clients: three young hens.
- It ain’t easy being green, but it’s worth the extra effort. Here, we share five sustainable homes that don’t skimp on design.
- As San Francisco prepares for a few showers in the next few days, we've gathered up eight of our favorite roofs we'd like to take cover under.
- With forethought and engineering, a rooftop can be a very valuable bit of real estate. Here are six cool roofs that not only work overhead, but underfoot.