Raise High the Roof Beams
- In our Modern Across America issue, we spotlighted five American cities with design scenes worth watching.
- We take a dive into our archives for five more of the best modern dining rooms (see Part One here) from a colorful British reboot to a Le Corbusier-inspired Parisian setting. Bon appétit!
- When done right, open kitchen shelving is a storage approach that's both visually attractive and highly functional—favorite pieces and tools are elevated to display status, and everything is within…
- Modern homes that buck the expected vernacular? Sign us up. See an array of residences from Boise to Charleston that express unconventional twists on regional styles.
- A spot to foster conviviality with passersby, a place to perch a chair and enjoy the outdoors, a threshold between inside and out, and an informal living room for neighborhoods—the porch is…
- From locations like a microcourtyard in Virginia to a prefab glass-shelled retreat in summery Finland, these ten outdoor gardens will make you green with envy.
- When an urban expat couple decided to build the suburban house they wanted rather than the one their neighbors expected, they ended up with a spare but airy jewel box and no wooden shingles.
- An airy addition on the back of a historic house in Boise is a model of sensitive renovation, seamlessly melding new and old.