It isn't often that your eight-year-old son helps you decide on an architect, but that is how homeowners Connie DeWitt and Kam Kasravi became well-acquainted with architect David Fenster of Modulus—their sons are good friends. DeWitt also credits her son, Kyler, with their new weekend getaway on an 11-acre parcel of redwood forest in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
@current / @total
- From tents to trailers, we take a look at homes that push the boundaries of traditional architecture.
- If you caught our recent round up of shipping container homes, you know there's no shortage of innovative adaptations to the boxy cargo pieces.
- The good folks at Epic Software are building a video production studio out of old shipping containers just outside of Houston, Texas.
- Shipping containers are ubiquitous in Houston, though unlike the four that make up this new home, they're usually filled with foreign goods rather than flourishing lives.
- From girders to grating, steel has long been a popular, highly recyclable, and relatively inexpensive material for architects, designers, and builders.
- In March 2013, Dwell had the pleasure of touring the World Trade Center Memorial with lead architect Michael Arad.
- Situated at the cross-section of architecture, art, and installation, Los Angeles–based architectural practice Layer has consistently managed to delight and surprise.