In October, the light in Norway is cold and diffused by rain. It's "our worst month," says John Roger Holte, a Norwegian artist and builder. The weather may be dismal here, but the Boxhome, which Holte helped build, gleams with optimism and modernity.
Showing image @current of @total
- It must be the chill in the air that has us thinking of Norway—lovely, freezing Norway. Here are six modern houses that make the place look downright cozy.
Sami Rintala’s 205-square-foot Boxhome was a technical wonder of efficient planning that paired a high-tech metal exterior with a rustic wood core. St. John’s print—a building section executed with a nod to the interior finishes—elegantly weds the disparate elements.
- With the classic Murphy bed as muse, Japanese architect Toshihiko Suzuki transformed a standard Airstream into a versatile small wonder.
- In the jungles of Maui, artist and builder Tom Sewell has built his own oasis.
- Dwell's popular Home Tours included a Breezehouse by Blu Homes in Healdsburg as a bonus tour during this spring's Marin Home Tours.
- Shipping containers are ubiquitous in Houston, though unlike the four that make up this new home, they're usually filled with foreign goods rather than flourishing lives.
- Is your kitchen too drab? Feeling the pinch of cramped cooking quarters? Appliances dating from the stone age? We've got you covered.
- Scandinavia's contribution to modern architecture and design is colossal, with Norway taking a critical role.