- Shoji screens are used everywhere from George Nakashima's Reception House to actor Vincent Kartheiser's tiny Hollywood bungalow, and they remain a time-tested way of allowing light in and keeping…
- Mike McDonald, an Oakland, California–based builder, faced a common problem for Bay Area homeowners: an aesthetically pleasing, historically significant, but structurally shaky Victorian.
- Who doesn't want a little more light in their lives?
- A couple in northern Italy trade a cramped flat for a renovated farmhouse in the country.
- The renovation of Katie and John Eller's Park Street Residence in the Bernal Heights neighborhood of San Francisco began with a referral from a friend: "She said, 'I want your architect and your…
- Eight years ago John McDonald had never picked up a woodworking tool in his life.
- Architect Preston Scott Cohen resurrected an early 1800s barn as a vacation home for a literary couple and their family, calling to mind both the agrarian spaciousness of the structure’s former life…
- Each of these homes incorporates some element that distinguishes it from its neighbors, and represents the success of modern design on the East Coast.