Modern Wooden A-Frame Retreat in France
- A serene French country house expresses a reverence for wood.
- Among the most tried-and-true building types is the A-frame house, which, as evidenced by the following homes from our pages, can be very modern indeed.
- Vive la France! Take a desktop tour of the best in contemporary French architecture and interior design with a stroll through the Dwell archives.
For the past decade we at Dwell have been ferreting out the best modern design wherever we can find it. And it should come as little surprise that we keep returning to a nation with a centuries-deep lineage of astounding material culture: la France. In honor of photographer Celine Clanet's amazing photo essay in our November 2011 issue depicting the astounding dams of the Savoy region, I've collected a handful of our best stories on French design over the last several years. From the furniture design of Inga Sempé to a masterpiece of rural prefab design by architect Jean-Baptiste Barache, we continue to tip our chapeaux to our amis across l'Atlantique.
- You'll never tear us away from the flat-roof modernism so prevalent in Dwell's pages over the last 12 years; nor would we try to eschew touting the glory of mid-century housing typologies.
- Architecture gets expensive, so these homebuilders put their creativity to work by designing with plywood. Here's how they saved a buck on materials without looking, well, cheap.
- Shingle style takes on a new meaning in the following 7 modern houses that approach the genre in innovative ways.
- From classic, cool glass swaths to a glowing semi-opaque wall to a crowning oculus of light, we've rounded up a selection of some of the most distinctive and diverse windows from homes featured in…