Love's Labors Found
- “The uniqueness of the horizon and the desert light encouraged everybody to try something different,” says architect Will Bruder of Phoenix, Arizona, his adopted hometown.
- From prefab to site-built, and off the grid to plugged in, to follow are some of our favorite desert houses from the pages of Dwell.
- Countertops are an important part of a kitchen renovation, and they can be everything from earthy to space-age. Here are five Dwell favorites.
- Footbridges can join an older structures to a new additions, or close a gulf between a house and the street. And when good design is part of the mix, they can add a decorative touch.
- The Blue Sky prototype home tiptoes gracefully across the desert landscape just north of Joshua Tree National Park.
- Harnessing the power of dirt, sand, soil, and earth, these projects prove that modern houses are not just made of glass and steel.
- On the roof, amidst an array of native wild grasses and shrubs, six banks holding 180 small thermal solar collection tubes provide hot water year-round.
- Far from pandering to the whine of youth, this urban play garden fosters thoughtful interaction in a protected setting within the bustle of San Francisco.