Less Is Amore
With its architectural history reaching back to the ancient Greeks, Syracuse, on the island of Sicily, has plenty of old bones. In 2001, while still students, native sons Francesco (now an architect) and Alberto (a photographer) bought a crumbling building that dates from the 18th century. Seven years—three of them spent on construction—and one UNESCO permitting process later, the Moncada brothers moved in: Francesco on the top two floors and Alberto on the first. Now the two globetrotting brothers, as well as Francesco’s girlfriend, architect Mafalda Rangel, use the place whenever they’re in Sicily. The modern interior, replete with furniture of Francesco’s design as well as a few Italian classics bought on eBay, serves as the perfect counterpoint to the weight of the town’s considerable history. The trio gives us a tour of their home and hometown, showing that where they live extends beyond the front door.
Showing image @current of @total
- Architect Francesco Moncada's surprisingly modern renovation in Syracuse, Sicily, is home not just to himself, his girlfriend, and his brother, but to a suite of clever design moves.
- Calling all residents of Edwardians, ranch houses, and those challenging Victorians: If your heart beats for modern, don't miss these inspiring examples of seamlessly integrated modern updates to an…
- It's our humble opinion that summers are best spent reclining on a warm sunny deck with a refreshing beverage in hand and a cool breeze blowing.
- In compliance with strict regulations on historical renovations, these five Italian homes deftly incorporate original structure into modern remodels.
- Sometimes, you just need more space. But what are you to do when moving isn’t an option? These five homeowners found solutions in creative home additions.
- The bed is so much more than a place to lay your head, it's the focal point of the room and the headboard can either make or break that look.
- Modern interiors and products incorporating the humble, versatile, and flexible material that is rubber.
- Make the living room a central space in your home with loads of colorful accessories and a trapeze or two.