Kid Tested, Mothers Approved
A long house on Long Island, this prefab could get to its site peaceably only by traveling in pieces. Designed by Resolution: 4 Architecture as a holiday retreat for a family of six, this slatty slab is up to the task of sheltering its owners and all their guests.
@current / @total
- Architect Donald Wexler was thinking prefab long before prefab was popular. One of Palm Springs's "big five" modernists—along with being William F.
- Art object or machine for living in Architect William Massie’s personal prefab project takes the mass out of mass customization to create a one-of-a-kind wonder.
- Nestled in an apple grove in Sebastopol, California, the Orchard House is a rural idyll.
- With the kids officially on winter break—how will you fill the time? Here are 10 spaces to inspire a redesign guaranteed to keep your little ones occupied in high style.
- Prefab houses are getting leaner, more efficient, and, in some cases, bigger. Here, we explore highlights from our December/January prefab issue, juxtaposed with our favorites from the past.
- The Watershed is an off-the-grid writer’s retreat that architect Erin Moore designed for her mother, nature writer Kathleen Dean Moore.
- A new prefab prototype on a Scottish island demonstrates a smart—and superlocal—approach to building in far-flung locations.
- The great room—a combined living, dining, and cooking space—is one of architecture's great equalizers.