Homes with a Waterfront View
Spying a body of water—be it a placid lake, roaring ocean, glassy pond, or snaking river—from your bedroom window is one of the fairest sights one can see. And for the residents of these 18 homes, it was paramount. Take a spin through our favorite beach houses, waterfront retreats, and more in the following slideshow.
@current / @total
- Sometimes architecture works best when it frames nature. These seven homes blur the boundaries between indoors and outdoors by opening up towards the ocean.
- A place to catch morning rays or a bit of fresh air, balconies often become favorite spaces in modern homes. Click through the slideshow for a look at seven designs from the Dwell archive.
- From a home with an expansive coastal view to a home set steeply amidst dappled maple canopies, these and more houses are built to withstand the elements.
- We take a look at 10 of our favorite swimming pools and pool houses from over the years.
- Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, the old adage goes. That said, the careful are rewarded with stunning views and a strong connection to the outdoors.
- Cantilevering is a frequent and defining feature of modernist architecture, perhaps most famously exemplified by Frank Lloyd Wright's 1935 masterpiece, Fallingwater.
- This week, the New York Times ran a story on summer reading that recommended glossy magazines like Dwell (though we mostly print on matte paper!).
- Space, light, and twists on color use define this collection of some of our favorite modern living rooms from issues past.