- While reporting one of our feature stories in the September issue, I became pals with the owners and residents at Taylor Gourmet, the H St. NE deli we featured.
- Upon the birth of their first child, artist Stas Orlovski and food stylist Alise Arato felt that their 700-square-foot 1930s bungalow in the Mar Vista area of Los Angeles was too small to accommodate…
The Design Center (TDC) has commissioned three internationally-renowned artists and designers – whose works are often inspired by traditional lace imagery – to mine its historic Quaker Lace archives for inspiration and to reconceptualize conventional notions of lace.
The exhibition will include:
- A multi-sensory gallery installation featuring furniture, lighting, and laser-cut fabrics by Dutch designer Tord Boontje (www.tordboontje.com).
- A “lace,” chain-link fence installation in The Design Center’s front yard by the Dutch design studio, Demakersvan (www.demakersvan.com).
- An environmental installation in the enclosed back yard garden area by Canadian artist Cal Lane, (www.callane.com).
- Edge Studio's apartment building with its glass-and-steel facade is a glowing example of the urban renaissance that's gripping Steel City.