Hillside Family Home in Australia
- Clinging to their precarious sloping lots, these houses rise to challenging building sites.
- With an angled roof designed to resemble the surrounding cliffs, a house in Maui, Hawaii, is built to meld with the landscape.
- In Santa Monica, architect and activist Cory Buckner is working to preserve the living monuments of L.A.'s mid-century-modern past, including her own home by A. Quincy Jones.
- One day last April there was great excitement on Highland Avenue, a quiet, hilly street (on which this writer happens to live) of Craftsman bungalows and 1960s apartment buildings in the Ocean Park…
- Law professor Carole Goldberg and sociology professor Duane Champagne both teach at the University of California, Los Angeles.
- It’s impossible to ignore nature in Big Sur.
- Modern furniture and architecture looks even richer when paired with a robust art collection. Look to these seven homes for how to create just the right synthesis.
- Working with a limited footprint, a daunting slope, and killer views, architect Bruce Bolander went vertical with a secluded canyon house in Malibu.